2 Stories and How I Found Five Dollars

Kyle Reed // @kylereed

I have two stories for you on this busy Friday afternoon.

Story number 1
It was Wednesday night, I had to be up at 5am the next morning to get in line for my iPhone 4. I was fast asleep only to be awoken by an annoying cricket. I am what you would call a light sleeper. Something as little as someone turning on a light in the hall way will wake me up. Its a curse (especially in college) when trying to get sleep but it is also a blessing when someone wants to break into your house (which in turn is actually a curse if that happens). You can imagine my frustration when Dave Cricket started chirping. I tried to shrug it off at first but after about 20 minutes I could not take it. I got up, turned the light on (which provided me a really dirty look from my dog that was sleeping) and went on a search. I narrowed down dave crickets location to my entertainment center. At that moment, at 4am, I realized this cricket is a genius. What a great place to hide, very dark and a lot of spots to hang out. I immediately checked under the entertainment center but could only see so much. Maybe it was the night blindness of having my eyes shut for the last 6 hours or just that it was dark under the entertainment center, but I couldn’t see anything. I needed a way to “flush” him out, so I improvised and grabbed my belt that was on the floor next to me. I stuck it under the entertainment center and started to move it back and forth…no luck. After a couple of minutes I gave up with the hope that I scared Dave Cricket into going back to bed and not making another noise. A couple of minutes later, after just laying back down, Dave Cricket was at it again. Dang you Davey Cricket. I got up, turned the light back on and continued my search. This time removing all the movies, Playstation 3, and other odd stuff that I had stashed in the shelves of the entertainment center. As I continued to search I laid down on my chest. This had two purposes, first to get a better look under the entertainment center and also to trick my body into thinking I was still asleep. I as looked around my head hit my shoot that was just to the right of me and flipped it over. Not thinking anything of it I went back on my search. Moments later, in disappointment of the fact that I would not get anymore sleep I gave up my search. As I started to get up from the ground I looked over to the left and there he was, Mr Dave Cricket himself. Where was he you might ask? He was under the shoe that I knocked over with my head. Ya, you can imagine my relief as I realized the luck that just played itself out and then my relief as I realized that the very thing that hid Dave Cricket was going to be the cause of his death.

Story Number 2
After a rough night of sleep (see story above) I awoke and got ready so that I could get a good spot in the “reserve” line at the apple store. Me and my sister got in the car around 6am to head off to the store that was going to make our dreams come true. As we pulled up to the mall that housed the apple store I remarked to my sister that there would probably be about 30 people ahead of us in line. Little did I know that we would be 301 and 302 of a 500 person line. Four hours of waiting and a couple of chick fil a sandwiches later, it was our turn. We walked into the apple store very proud and excited. As we went through the checkout process we could not stop smiling knowing that we would have our hands on this tiny magical device that is called the iPhone 4. “Oh no, there is a problem” where not the words that I wanted to hear from my apple helper (or whatever they are called, its the person that gave us our phone). She said that I was not eligible for the upgrade and it would cost me $500 for a new phone. Now an amateur would not know this fact, but lets not forgot who we are talking about, I am not amateur (this is sarcasm btw). I had already ran across this problem and called AT&T the week before explaining the problem and searching for answers. The kind lady on the phone told me that everything would be okay, that it was an error in their system and that I was going to be eligible. I asked her what to do if they still try and charge me $500 for the new phone, she said to immediately call AT&T customer service and they will take care of everything. So I pulled out my phone, dialed AT&T and started what would be an hour conversation from hell. As I explained my problem to the guy on the other line I was met with words that I was not expecting, “you are still not eligible.” We went through some facts and I asked some questions and he continued to repeat the same thing over and over, “You are not eligible.” I asked to speak to his manager to seek further understanding. He connected me with Brian. As I explained the situation again, Brian replied with the same thing “you are not eligible.” No kidding? Haven’t heard that one before. I then went on to tell him about the conversation I had a week before on the 15th and how I was told it would not be a problem and everything would be taken care of. As I told him this story his response was one that still gets me today. He proceeded to tell me that he has heard the new iPhone is really buggy and that really they are doing me a favor by not allowing me to upgrade today because of all the problems with the iPhone 4. My response to that “that is the worse argument I have ever heard for why I cannot get my iPhone.” He went on to say that not one person in the AT&T company would tell me that I was eligible when it was not possible and that he himself was not eligible and was going to have to wait until February and I only had to wait until July and I should be happy. Thanks Brian, thanks for not only telling me that you are doing me a favor but also for calling me a liar. We went on for a couple more minutes and then I hung up on him and cried (not really, but wanted to). After four hours of waiting and another hour on the phone I was at my breaking point. Luckily we figured out a work around and I was able to get my reserved iPhone 4.  As I told the Apple lady, it wouldn’t be a big deal to wait until July if I just strolled in and was thinking I was getting the iPhone, it was the fact that I waited four hours in line and was told by a manager and employee at AT&T that I would have no problems.

Then I found five dollars.
End of story or stories.

You might be wondering why I said that at the end. Well it is believed by some friends that if you tell a bad story you can always make it better by saying at the end “then I found five bucks.” So if those two stories sucked…at least I found five bucks.

You got a story for me?


3 Week Course To Launching Your Blog

For a limited time this 3 week course is available to the first 25 people who sign-up. This 6 week course will guide you through how to set up a blog, write 25 blog post, and customize your look. This is a limited time offer made available only to the first 25 people

Kyle Reed

Posts Twitter

I create websites, conversations, and ideas. Advocate for the 20 somethings. Looking to connect everyone to a mentor. Married to my best friend, Ginny. I like my coffee black and my dog Jack. I currently live in Nashville and work at Sony Music/Provident in Nashville
  • http://www.benlemery.com Ben

    Thank God you got your Iphone. I hope your life is complete. =P

  • http://scarletcordministries.wordpress.com Kamrie

    Wow I think you left out the part on how you cheated your sister out of service as she walked atleast 5 miles with two physically challenged boys who were constantly complaining.

  • Pingback: Tweets that mention 2 Stories and How I Found Five Dollars | In Transition -- Topsy.com()

  • http://silenthearts.wordpress.com Morgan

    I absolutely laughed out loud at Davey Cricket’s story. And good tip on the $5 bucks…I’m DEFINITELY using that! haha