This Sunday I decided to check out the Journey at Missouri Baptist University. I’ve attended the Journey a couple of times in the past and have really been wanting to continue attending but really don’t want to have to drive an hour to get there (save it, I know Jesus went to the Cross and died, its still to far). It was a great service with a very challenging sermon from Darrin Patrick on John 1. Really good stuff.
Not wanting to go by myself I asked if my sister if she wanted to go with me. We arrived fashionable late and strolled into the service to the surprise of a full auditorium (about 300 people). Immediately I felt awkward. I immediately wondered, do these people know she is my sister? As I walked by several people to get to a free seat, I smiled and said hello and was very tempted to tell them that this was my sister, my younger sister, ya know, sister we are related?
Every time I go out in public with just me and my sister I always feel that people think we are dating. I almost want to wear a t-shirt that says “She is my sister, not my girlfriend.” Call me paranoid or call me stupid, but I do know one thing, she is my sister…not my girlfriend.
In light of all the confusion that a sister can have and the possible damage she can cost a guy that is looking for a girl,
here is a survivalist guide to going to church with your sister
1) Separate yourself by one seat in service making sure to show that you are always open for someone (a special lady) to fill the empty seat.
2) Walk ten feat ahead of her, and whatever you do, do not open any doors for her.
3) When in a group talk about how much WE love our mom, and how great it is that OUR mom taught us about Jesus. You can never go wrong with talking about mom and how she birthed the both of you. You gain awareness that she is your sister but also that you love your mom (always good with the ladies).
4) When told to turn around and great some people in the middle of service make sure to say hello and then say: “And this is my sister….”
5) If you have a family reunion shirt make sure you both wear it when attending a new church.