Sitting In Traffic

Kyle Reed // @kylereed

One of the most frustrating things for me to do is sit in traffic. Every morning, on my way to work, I hit a pocket of traffic that simply exist to get under my skin. The reason for the traffic jam? Everyone is trying to switch lanes. 75% of the cars are trying to get off at the exit while the other 25% are trying to get over onto the highway. This traffic happens every single day.

Photo credit: Kevin Dooley

The interesting thing about traffic is it wouldn’t exist if everyone drove the same speed. There would be enough room to merge on and off the highway. There would be a smooth flow to each lane and very little to worry about whenever you drove the highway.

As you know, there is still traffic. There is still frustration. And there is still congestion. The reason traffic still exist is because people do not do what you want them to do. Someone takes advantage of an opening, while others speed up to make an appointment. There will always be traffic because there will always be people driving cars.

I feel like life is often like this. There is reality and then fantasy. The fantasy is that everything will move at your pace. The roads will be open and you will make it to wherever you are going without having to stop. The reality is that there will be delays, the roads will have more stops and starts then you could imagine and you will never make it to your destination when you think you should.

It is better to be prepared to sit in traffic and understand that you will get through it then to never Drive at all. Don’t give up.

3 Week Course To Launching Your Blog

For a limited time this 3 week course is available to the first 25 people who sign-up. This 6 week course will guide you through how to set up a blog, write 25 blog post, and customize your look. This is a limited time offer made available only to the first 25 people

Kyle Reed

Posts Twitter

I create websites, conversations, and ideas. Advocate for the 20 somethings. Looking to connect everyone to a mentor. Married to my best friend, Ginny. I like my coffee black and my dog Jack. I currently live in Nashville and work at Sony Music/Provident in Nashville
  • http://twitter.com/BradBlackman Brad Blackman

    Assuming you haven’t moved, just drive down Hermitage/1st Avenue to Church, go left, then right on 9th, then left on Charlotte. Boom. :-D

  • brianfalexander

    Crazy that I was thinking this same stuff as I was driving home from work today.