All this language about shipping can be confusing, at least to me. Maybe more overwhelming then confusing, shipping seems to be grandiose idea of making great stuff. When really it is a decision to just do the work. You ever wonder what are some things you could ship? (in a non FEDEX or UPS way)
You could decide to ship…
- A blog post every day.
- 800 words on paper every day.
- One new creative idea.
- 25 minutes reading a book.
- 30 minutes on the treadmill.
- One conversation with an old friend.
- A home cooked meal.
- 25 pushups.
- A hand written letter.
- A difficult conversation.
- Make a cup of tea.
- Start a new diet.
- Email your favorite author or blogger for an interview.
- 15 minutes of meditating in silence.
- A scavenger hunt around your city.
- A photo a day. (A PSD a day)
- One less refresh of twitter or a facebook.
Often the temptation of shipping is to focus on the biggest scale rather then focusing on the everyday. Think about the last time you shipped something that weighed over ten or twenty pounds. That probably cost you more then you wanted to pay. Why? Because of the weight, UPS or FedEx had to treat what you were shipping differently. It had its own special delivery. Just like shipping something that is big cost you more then you want to spend, shipping a big project will cost you as well.
Focus on shipping every day and before you know it the amount you can ship will get bigger.